When T Arrived!

Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Almost six years ago this week, we were anxiously awaiting the arrival of T. We had passed the parents to be class with flying colors. His room was ready. The car seat was loaded and my hospital bag was packed. Thing was, T wasn't quite ready to join us! My sweet doctor allowed me to go a week over and he arrived in the middle of the month, in the middle of the night. 

In a matter of minutes, I became a mommy. 
I had big plans-regular delivery, being pushed to the car holding my little prince, and a strict sleep schedule. 

We know what God does when we plan, right? :) 

We had an emergency c-section when T kicked off the last monitor they tried. I was calm and ready and trusted the process. When I saw him, I cried. I just smiled and cried. He was so big and so little all at once-9 pounds, 10 ounces and long, really long. 
Pops and A checking out baby T! 
Over the next few days, family and friends came. We had snuggles and breast feeding classes and pictures and pictures, and more pictures. I was recovering beautifully and he was perfect. It was bliss. Then N changed his diaper and noticed an irregularity (that's code for blood in the stool.) The nurse came, took the diaper and assured us that it was normal. Then it happened again. Within minutes, they came into the room and explained that they needed to take T for tests. They wheeled him out and I cried. I just sat there and cried. 
In what was surely the longest wait of my life, he was admitted into NICU and we were told he would not be going home with us. We stayed until the last minute on the last night. N drove me home without our little guy and without a word.  I didn't cry. I was numb. 
The specialists and nurses were unbelievable. They loved T! He was so big compared to the other babies in NICU. Even though I was so sad he was there, we felt so blessed that on all accounts-our guy was healthy. They ran tests and tried formulas, ran more tests and monitored him. We met with specialist after specialist. There was never a definite cause, but they said his intestines may not have fully formed and they needed a few days or that is was a protein deficiency. Our favorite doctor told us that due to the protein issue, he would likely have sensitive skin, tummy issues, and dental issues. For the record, she was right on all accounts! 

On day 9, he came home. Best.Day.Ever

So what about that sleep schedule? Well, his tummy sensitivity continued and he was not a big sleeper.....for months...now years

I just can't get enough of this guy almost six years later even when he stays up later and wakes up earlier!  As we prepare for his 6th birthday party and the year ahead, I'm telling him his story (without all of the details) and we're counting our blessings. 

January is our month. :)

No comments

Thank you for your comments. Words matter. :)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...